With the opening of the trolleybus services to Saltaire and Greengates much of the tram route to Eccleshill was under trolleybus wiring and it was a logical step to convert the route, which was Bradford's highest-numbered tram route.
The first trolleybuses ran on 30th May 1934 terminating initially by turning right into Moorside Road and then reversing back onto Stony Lane. This was replaced by squeezing in a rather tight turning circle in the same junction in front of the Mechanics' Institute in 1941. The City terminus was off Forster Square on Bolton Road and the service took the same number as the tram service it replaced - 33.
The service settled down to a quiet and largely-unrecorded existence, with the next development being a link across the City to St. Enoch's Road (Top). Workings were numbered according to direction, with the journeys to Eccleshill numbered 33 and those to St. Enoch's Road 44. This through service started on 3rd November 1957.
A significant extension was opened from 9th August 1959 which took the service down Bank to Faltis Square. This involved a steep descent at 1 in 8 and to protect the service in the event of severe winter conditions the original terminus was retained.
The cross-city service was converted to motorbus operation from 19th February 1964 and trolleybus operation to Eccleshill was then confined to peak-hour extras. This lasted until 31st October 1964 when the service finished without ceremony.
The service was worked by Bolton depot, initially by a mixture of six-wheelers and single-deckers, until that depot closed in 1958, after which Thornbury depot provided the vehicles.
© David Beilby