It had been desired for many years to extend the Pontypridd Council tramway at the southern end to Upper Boat. Powers for this were eventually obtained in 1920, the route leaving the existing depot track at Castle Bridge in Treforest and following the route of the Doctor’s Canal, which was to be filled in. Nothing was done but the powers were renewed by means of a Light Railway Order granted on 2nd September 1927. This collection shows the plans submitted for that 1927 order for the section south from Duffryn Road.
The tramways had been badly affected by the industrial slump of the 1920s and soon after the granting of the Light Railway Order attention became more focussed on how to reduce the losses on the trams, which soon led to abandonment of the trams without this extension ever getting off the drawing board.
© David Beilby