As with many operators, industrial journeys were an important part of the Pontypridd/Taff-Ely and possibly even too important as it led to a very sharp peak in vehicle requirements for the short duration of the morning and evening peaks.
Without a doubt the biggest demand for works services came from the Treforest Trading Estate. However, a range of other destinations were served, but not often photographed:
- Abercynon Dowlais Cardiff Colliery
- Nantgarw Colliery
- Steinburg’s Limited, Hawthorn
- South Wales Switchgear, Pontllanfraith
The Abercynon service commenced around November 1931 and served various locations within the Council area. From 13th September 1936 the Council took over a service operated by North’s which served the colliery from Tongwynlais, running well outside the Council area. This was extended to Whitchurch under a wartime permit which was converted to a licence in 1948. The colliery closed in 1988 but the service, which ran from Dynea into the eighties, seems to have ceased before then, possibly at deregulation.
The service to the South Wales Switchgear factory was started by Commercial Motor Services under a wartime permit and came to Pontypridd on the takeover in 1945. It was also converted to a licence after the war. The factory is still open today but the service probably ceased in August 1968 along with Pontypridd’s operation of the Blackwood service.
© David Beilby