There were three main periods when Pontypridd/Taff-Ely had cause to take vehicles from other operators on loan.
The first was during World War II when demand for transport far outstripped the fleet’s resources, despite the large influx of ‘utility’ buses. As well as trolleybuses loaned from Hull and Portsmouth, Pontypridd also received eight London Transport ST vehicles which had been ST310/369/899/903/910/915/949/1006. The first arrived in July 1942 and the last departed in November 1945.
At the end of 1982 and into early 1983 the Department found itself short of vehicles and the fleet was supplemented with vehicles from Cardiff, Merthyr, Rhymney Valley and Nottingham. The ex-Bedwas PD3 featured in this gallery on the Caerphilly service was one of those making a brief appearance but both Rhymney Valley and Nottingham provided Leyland Leopards.
In the final days of Taff-Ely there were again pressures on the fleet and some Ford Transits from Charlie’s Cars in Bournemouth were brought in to keep services running. these were accompanied by vehicles from Merthyr Tydfil, Cynon Valley and Cardiff.
© David Beilby