Rhydyfelin was one of the first two bus services operated by Pontypridd (the other being to Maesycoed). Whilst the service went through several changes it has always arguably been the most important of Pontypridd’s services.
Operation to Rhydyfelin started in June 1930, the service being worked at first by the original centre-entrance Bristol B types.
The original terminus was at the junction of Duffryn Road and Sycamore Street. Rhydyfelin continued to develop and following completion of Holly Street it was possible to extend the service to Dynea from May 1948.
The service left Pontypridd along Broadway to Treforest where it joined Cardiff Road. In Rhydyfelin it travelled along Duffryn Road, Oak Street, Beechwood Street, Holly Street and Dynea Road. There were some detail changes over the years which are referred to in the photograph captions. In later years at least some journeys ran via Hawthorn and Fairfield Lane, serving that area at times when the Glantaff service wasn’t running. This also happened for a period in the early 1970s during construction of the A470(T).
Originally running as Pontypridd to Rhydyfelin, it was linked across town for some journeys at least to run to and from Berw Road. After the trolleybus abandonment in 1957 the Rhydyfelin service was linked to that to Cilfynydd and became the principal service of the network. Services were revised in the mid-1970s and the link to Cilfynydd was broken. In the case of the Rhydyfelin service it may not always have run across town after this time, but when buses did run through Pontypridd it was mainly to Glyncoch.
© David Beilby