Emley Moor was a smaller colliery only opened in 1948. In the following year it employed 402 underground and 116 on the surface. The screens already existed, serving local drift mines.
It had the distinction of being the last in Yorkshire to use a pick and shovel to win coal, with the last face being mechanised around 1983. The colliery was linked to Woolley colliery following the miner’s strike. All traffic was conveyed by road following the closure of the railway in January 1983.
© David Beilby