David Beilby | 11 - Stadlauer Brücke to Friedrich-Engels-Platz

Created 4-Jun-17
Modified 4-Jun-17
Visitors 10
2 photos
This service dates from 1923 but did not reach its full extent until 1928. It then remained stable until it ceased operation on 6th January 1974, the only variations resulting from necessities of wartime and the aftermath. The route was almost a straight line, following closely the southern bank of the Danube (Donau).

It was worked from the depot at Vorgarten with a variety of vehicles, one notable type being the ex-Third Avenue cars known as the Z type in Vienna which last ran on this service in 1969.

There is no working tram track on any of the route now, the final section to be abandoned being the stretch from Elderschplatz to Stadion, closed when the 21 tram was replaced by an extension of the U2 in 2008.